Most people consider home renovations a significant investment, but this doesn’t always have to be the case. If you want to be mindful of your budget, you can still remodel your home within a reasonable range.
For this to happen, you must first decide which rooms to focus on first to ensure you get the most value for your money.
Here’s a cost-effective renovation guide to get you started:
1. Start With Your Kitchen
The kitchen is one of the top choices for homeowners when they want to improve and remodel their home. Most people’s social interactions revolve around the kitchen, so this should come as no surprise. When it comes to selling your home, kitchen repairs are essential since the kitchen is what potential buyers are really looking at.
There are quite a few inexpensive kitchen upgrades you can make:
- Reface your old kitchen cabinets for a fraction of the cost of installing new ones. If you want to brighten up your kitchen’s ambience, refacing the cabinets is the best option, even though it is slightly more expensive than repainting.
- Get rid of your old light fixtures and replace them with new ones to ensure your kitchen’s lighting will always be good. Replacement of old fixtures can help improve the lighting during mealtimes, which is important to have.
- Paint your kitchen. Repainting your kitchen can do wonders for its overall appearance and is an affordable and simple home improvement project. It’s easy to repaint your home on your own and you don’t always have to hire a professional. Using the right application techniques and a little patience is all that’s needed. However, you may want to hire a professional painting team if you want to save time or if you’re unsure of what colours to go with. Choosing a neutral colour is the best idea if you plan to sell your house in the near future.
- Challenge your creativity. When you’re remodeling, you need to think outside the box. To make your kitchen more spacious, you don’t necessarily have to demolish its walls. If you rearrange a few things and change the layout of the room, it is easy to gain more space.
2. Consider a Home Extension
Have you been looking for ways to increase your home’s space? A home extension can increase the size of your living space and give you a new dining room, guest room, or bedroom. When compared to converting an attic or basement, home additions may have fewer restrictions.
Such renovations, however, are subject to government regulations, so you must check with them first. The B.C government website can provide information about building permits, which may also be required.
3. Convert Your Attic
Are you considering an extension but aren’t sure it’s a good idea? Maybe the price is too high for you? Converting your attic may be an option instead.
If you have an unfinished, accessible attic, you might want to consider converting it into a bedroom or a man cave. You can add additional livable space to your house without breaking the bank if your attic has at least seven feet of ceiling height and is connected to your house through a stairway.
4. Turn Your Basement into a Theatre or Fitness Room
Often, homeowners leave their basements unfinished, despite the possibility of transforming them into an incredibly useful space. Don’t let your basement go to waste! Invest in it and make it your own.
Below are some of the most popular ways to convert a basement:
- The basement can be converted into another living room or bedroom just like the attic, but one of the best ideas would be to build a home theater. The dark and quiet environment of basements makes them ideal for home cinemas. In order to avoid a dark movie theater’s dungeon-like atmosphere, use patterned wall coverings and place light coloured sofas.
- For another bang for the buck basement renovation idea, consider installing a home gym instead. If you have a basement, why not convert it into a fitness center? Basements usually have cooler temperatures, so take advantage of that. An easy way to make your basement space appear brighter and bigger is by using a mirror. A mirror will also assist you in aligning your body correctly while working out.
5. Bathroom Remodelling
Plan to remodel your bathroom whenever you remodel your home. Embrace some new trends for your bathroom and make it feel modern, sleek, and serene.
There are several renovation tasks that you can perform at an affordable price:
- Consider installing open shelves if your bathroom feels cramped. Open shelves make the room look larger, which is why you should add them. As a bonus, you can use them to display decorative towels, soaps, and bathroom essentials that will enhance the aesthetics of the room as well.
- It doesn’t matter how big or small the change is, even the smallest detail, such as worn-out and dated fixtures, can have an impact on the overall atmosphere of your bathroom. You may want to consider getting new general fixtures to brighten up your bathroom’s look. Consider gold-toned plumbing fixtures, industrial-style vanities, or bold ceiling accents as an alternative to overused styles.
- An additional tip – bathroom mirrors wear out around the edges over time, so add a frame to prevent this. For a traditional feel in a modern bathroom, opt for brass or wooden frames.
- Another idea is to paint your bathroom walls with a colour that matches your tiles for a pop of colour. To appeal to a broader range of potential buyers, choose a neutral colour if you have plans on selling your home.
6. Living Room Renovations
Whether entertaining guests or spending time together as a family, the living room is where you’ll spend most of your time. You can improve the look and feel of your space by upgrading the decor and design.
For an inexpensive living room renovation, consider these ideas:
- Choose lighting options that are layered. You can achieve a sophisticated look with task lighting, accent lighting, and ambient lighting that are understated yet functional.
- Use a fireplace to create a focal point, an entertainment system to grab attention, a dramatic piece of artwork to create a focus, or a quirky bookshelf to create an interest.
The process of renovating your home can seem overwhelming because a lot of decisions have to be made-from determining your budget to deciding whether to hire a professional or do it yourself.
As well as choosing which rooms to renovate first, you need to plan your budget. If you’re planning to sell your house soon, the tips above can help you decide which rooms will offer the greatest return on your investment.
If you need help or suggestions with your home renovations, contact us and we’ll be happy to assist.